Monday, July 21, 2008

Skin........or In Response to Ruth

(a continuation of a comment discussion from my previous post: 6 Random Things)

Ruth you are so right that inner beauty and depth are rightfully the goal. Despite that I’m pretty comfortable with the whole preening thing. (Zoe is always questioning why I wear make up around the house. Hopefully in this regard she will rebel and do the exact opposite...... so far so good). Unfortunately, my cynical side doesn’t always give others the credit to have enough depth or patience to see beyond appearances, mostly because I am convinced that we humans are visual creatures by nature. And I find it understandable to prefer looking at the attractive although I think our generation (and generations to come) have burdened ourselves with lives lived in the shadow of a superficially photogenic & ever present media...... but that’s a whole other long and rambling post!

My Blogger picture is a perfect example of cynacism. Even the ugliest of us can usually come up with at least one attractive photo if we dig deep enough, which is what I did. I really need to change it as it is unrealistically flattering and a pathetic attempt to be appealing.......to present myself as someone who others might want to know. I suppose if nothing else changing it would be at least one step toward embracing my worth, appearances aside. All in all I feel like I’ve have become a pretty grounded, almost whole, person. But this discomfort with my looks (or self perceived lack of them) is just too shallow to accept. It represents buying into the worst of the stereotypical objectification of women that our culture promotes. It’s just not who I want to be. Does that make any sense? Any ways, there it is, way too much information!!! :)

No comments: