Tuesday, July 22, 2008

The Wave


Growing up in a suburb of Detroit if a total stranger waved at me I would have quickly looked around for the nearest escape route. But in Wyoming, waving is nothing short of the local pastime. As strange as this may sound, it’s actually customary around here to wave at oncoming traffic while driving. Fortunately most people forgo it when they’re “in town” or we’d all look like a bunch of lunatics and traffic would come to a complete stand still. I’m sure it really isn’t that unusual a thing to do in most rural areas. Still it amuses me when Larry and I go for our evening walk and every passing car cheerfully acknowledges our presence like we were long lost friends. I don’t think twice about gesturing to people anymore until some baffled tourist suspiciously eyes me before cautiously waving back.

Any ways, I just thought you should know. So if you’re ever in the area and wondering why in the world all of these people are so happy to see you, it’s just what we do. We’re VERY friendly.

No comments: