Monday, July 28, 2008

Parenting Tips



I have an old set of books from 1917 called Practical Child Training that I like to make art with. I got them out the other day to work on a sketch and as I was scanning the pages for collage materials I decided it might be fun to post some excerpts here. I’m particularly amused by the Morality volumes which contain one of my favorite pieces of sage advice: to prevent self gratification in boys you should get them interested in raising chickens, or other activities of a wholesome nature. I was seriously thinking about getting some chickens, but now I’m a little worried what the neighbors might think. Any ways, if you’re nostalgic for a little old fashioned family dysfunction you’ve come to the right place. Here’s to turning out a few “whole-souled”, well groomed, moral, and productive members of society:

If we are to have a fine, intellectual, whole-souled type of woman in the future we must eliminate pettiness. It holds back women’s social and economic status more than any inability to vote. (pg. 1211)

One of the most difficult faculties to develop in a girl is the quality of concentration. (pg. 1177)

....strong measures should be taken to develop a manly courage. (pg. 782)

Unless you discourage the habit of boasting, a child may become a nuisance. (pg. 803)

To tell a child that there is a Santa Claus that comes down the chimney is wrong. (pg. 1563)

Self denial of a manly kind is a fine basis of character and bespeaks future integrity. (pg. 1595)

Women are so cruel in their judgments, one of another, that they do not easily or quickly discriminate between friends and potential enemies. (pg. 1347 )

“It is revolting to us both, as you know, to see boys wearing girlish colored ties and silk socks to match, light blue and such silly colors. (pg. 1603 )

Teach your child to repeat just before breakfast......”I am master of myself. I have strong will power. I know what is right. I want to do right. I will do right.” (pg. 834 )

Happy Parenting!

No comments: