Sunday, December 26, 2010

stuff


At this stage in my life I'm not really that into "stuff" but yesterday was Christmas and I received some things that I really love.

*First of all, Zoe made me an incredible mixed CD with music from Placebo, Depeche Mode, Akira Yamaoka, Iron and Wine, and A Perfect Circle. She even made cover art for the jewel case which I just LOVE. It was a wonderful gift. Thank you Zoe, I love you!



*Another gift which means a lot was from my sister. When we were little we each had porcelain dolls from China which our Aunt Jan gave to us. Mine was a girl and her's a boy. I don't remember in what context but sometime within the last year I brought them up wondering what had happened to them. Being older and more careful she still had hers and sent it to me for Christmas. I don't have a lot of memories from early childhood but there are a few objects and moments which are especially magical and for some unknown reason those dolls hold a special place in my heart. I am so happy to have yours, Sandie. Thank you!




*This next present was given to Larry from his brother who is an antique dealer. They're a set of 4 tiny ornaments from India. And while they technically aren't mine, I'm really really taken with them. I guess there's still a part of me that really does like stuff sometimes.


POSTSCRIPT:
My sister emailed me that the dolls were brought back by my Uncle Tom after his tour in Vietnam. This is what she wrote:

Hey, saw your post and just a note. Uncle Tom brought those dolls back from his tour in vietnam. I am not sure if he brought them for Jan and she gave them to you, or if he brought them back for you and she gave them to you (he was very shy). But I am certian he brought them from vietnam. You probably do not remember him from before he left for vietnam. I was excited he had returned and it was his first visit to just us after he returned and I remember that clearly. (this was after the family welcome home party for him at our house when he returned). It was cold/winter time maybe?
Love Sandie








2 comments:

sandy said...

Wonderful presents. That doll is so cool and how great of your sister to send it to you!

Zoe's art work is always so cool to see. She is very talented. I like her vibrant colors, her own sense of style...

nice...

Anet said...

Beautiful gifts... straight from the heart!