Sunday, August 3, 2008

Plato's Cave

The other day in a comment Ruth said:

“Anyway, I think that was an interesting case in point that we present a limited view of ourselves - what we want our blog friends to see. And now I'm thinking what would I think of me if I only knew me through this forum?”

I think we really do present a limited view of ourselves when blogging. Much like Plato’s cave allegory we seem to exist for each other in shadow form no matter how honest our intentions. You can ask me whatever you want and I will answer you as honestly as I can and still that will only provide you with a fraction of who I am. That’s probably good because the last thing in the world you are going to want to hear about are my every insecurity and neurosis. I’m assuming you and your families have got plenty of your own idiosyncrasies to put up with. I’m not saying that we should censor ourselves so that we only present some idealized and pretentious facade but what I am saying is that it’s kind of nice to know each other through what we choose to share. Those choices in themselves say something about us. It’s as if each of you are a wonderful enigma and every time you post I am able to put another piece of the puzzle in place.

A perfect example is that awhile back Gwen posted a watercolor she did of one of her mugs. Ruth, and then I, followed her lead and also did mug posts. Because there was a whole artsy/earthy/beautiful feel to all of our posts Anet and I joked that we should also have an ugly mug contest. I really liked that idea because it seemed so honest; kind of an acknowledgment that our lives are also about mundane things like waiting in line at the grocery store, and trying to maintain some shred of dignity while spreading your legs for the gynecologist each year. So last week Anet posted her ugly mugs and while I bow to her absolute supremacy in this contest (due to Darth Vader) I still wanted to post my offering.

I think my absolute UGLIEST mug is this one. I find it’s trite religious message so repulsive that I wanted to chuck it out the window the minute it was given to us. I didn’t, out of politeness, but since just being near it is giving me the heebie-jeebies I may just go give it a good hard toss right now.
Have a GREAT day everyone!

No comments: