Thursday, May 15, 2008

Walt Whitman

Wickedly frustrated with the weather around here the Muse convinced me (years ago) to head south. We sold our cabin, packed up, and bought 40 gorgeous acres of wildly secluded waterfalls, springs, vipers, hills, woods, bears, ticks, coyotes, and whippoorwills; complete with a cool barn-house, chicken coop, and the biggest studio building we’d ever had, all for under $50,000. I had never been to the south and, to put it nicely, I wasn’t attuned to the dynamics that some areas possess. Despite their great beauty, the Ozarks have a complex culture uniquely their own. Among other things they’re home to lots of revivals and UFO sightings which made sense because even I found myself wanting God or the Aliens to come to my rescue. Any ways, we didn't live there long but we did have a couple of brushes with the other worldly while we were there. One was with Walt Whitman. After having been infertile for 7 years (despite medical intervention) I had given up on the idea that we would ever have children and my sister was due with her first baby. I was thrilled for her, but as her due date neared I was feeling sorry for myself and frustrated. This is going to sound silly, and I’m sure it’s just a coincidence, but the day before my wonderful niece Marcee was born, Walt showed up out of nowhere. The gentlest, most wonderful soul, he was just the distraction I needed that weekend. He stayed about a year, lived with us, ate with us, and played with us. But while we watched over him, we never had the feeling he was “ours”. Walt belonged to himself, a spirit rather than a possession. Miraculously I became pregnant, Goth was born, and Walt started to wander. He’d come back and check on us but he never stayed. Then one day I got a phone call from a distant neighbor we hadn’t met before. She said that her husband had just been involved in a tragic accident and wasn’t likely to awaken from his coma, and that Walt had been comforting her...........that he was all she had, and was there any way that we would let her keep him. There was no need for her to ask, Walt knew what he was doing. He was truly a blessed spirit, great comforter, and a furry, heavy breathing, comical angel. I still love him.....

No comments: