Sunday, April 27, 2008

We Suck at Volunteering!


You would think that anyone with 2 large dogs, 6 cats, 2 rats, 2 geese, a couple of ducks, parakeets, fish, and a barn full of pigeons would have their fill of animals. But no, Goth decided to become trained as a volunteer at our local animal shelter. I agreed on the conditions that I accompany her (for her safety), and that she understand in no uncertain terms that she is there to work, and would NOT be bringing anything home! Of course her first day brought us face to face with Theo a black chow chow. Pretending to be an adult, I held my ground despite his dejected demeanor, exotic blue tongue, and the cute way he quivered with fear at the site of a poodle poster. He was often in my thoughts and unfortunately was still at the shelter the next time we went back, and the next. He was there for quite a while. I never asked what happened to him (I didn’t want to know) and Goth continued volunteering. Then one day, just as we were about to leave, a staff member asked us to work on socializing a feral kitten. Strangely enough we’d never even noticed her before. It was as if by sheer will she had become one with the corner and was using every ounce of energy she could muster to continue that illusion. Ignoring her terror, I picked her up and made the mistake of asking questions...... it turned out she was 11 months old and had been cowering in that corner for 10 months..... Ten Months!!!! What was I supposed to do with that???? Later at home I told the Muse about her, acknowledging that the last thing in the world we needed was another cat......... but we have a couple of secluded acres of woods......... and a barn ........... and SHE really needed US..........we’ll feed her, watch over her, and you won’t even know she’s here..........I promise. You’ll never even see her! Prince that he is, there wasn’t even a discussion. First thing the next morning we headed to town and filled out the adoption papers. The plan was to put her in my studio for a week or so (until she was comfortable and knew where she lived) and then we’d take her out to the barn and let her be wild. That was a year ago and she hasn’t seen the barn yet......she doesn’t even know it exists. She does however, sleep with us.

No comments: