Thursday, July 5, 2012

On the Eve of Placing My Mom in a Nursing Home



Last week I was talking to my Dad when he said that he was going to speak with someone at Amvets about his options should he need nursing home care in the future. As horrible as this sounds I replied “But Dad, it's different with you. Any of us would take care of you.” Our conversation was in relationship to the decision to place my mother in a facility. You can read into that whatever you like but the cold hard truth of what I was saying is that my mother would not be afforded the same affection or consideration, that in my opinion, my Dad would. I'm sorry for that. I felt sorry when I said it, and I feel sorry right now.

The complexity of the mother/daughter parent/child relationship is so hard to navigate and nearly impossible to be objective about, at least when talking about ourselves. In my case I will say that my Mom, like all of us, was/is flawed. She had issues. She wasn't perfect, and more often than not her better self was nowhere to be seen. When you boil it all down, she could be a mean and hateful person, especially to those closest to her.

More than once she told me the story of how when she was in elementary school a friend of hers went to school dressed fancifully. That really embarrassed my Mom so she wrote her friend an anonymous note telling her how ridiculous she looked. Later the friend thanked her saying that she knew my Mom wrote the note because no one else would have cared enough to tell her what a fool she looked. Unfortunately that interaction formed the very foundation of my mother's emotional and psychological development for the rest of her life. From that day on she mistook criticism for affection.

Once when Zoe was little she corrected me for telling Zoe that I loved her because, in her words: “you should never tell children that you love them, they take it for granted. If you say it then they might think that you don't”. If she ever told me she loved me as a child I don't remember it, but about a year ago, out of the blue, she said it. It blew me away. I joked with Larry and my sister that it must have been the dementia talking but another part of me cherishes it as a truly lucid and divinely inspired moment...her reaching out to me knowing that she would soon be lost forever.

There are only two people in this world (that I actually know) that I can honestly say I feel hate for, and she is one of them. I'm sorry if that's too shocking, it just is. I have owned it for a long time. It isn't 100%, but is often visceral. The last time I saw her she was starting to decline. My presence was a surprise and she shot me dirty looks for a good ten minutes before my sister brought it to her attention who I was. The next day or so we occupied the same rooms but interacted very little. I tried not to let it bother me, it's just her way, dementia or not.

That being said, I find I'm really and truly grieving at the loss of her. I realize she's going into a great homey facility where she'll be well tended and probably happier than she's been in a while. She will have more to do and lots of new friends to meet. Still, the realization that the person who I used to know (and often loathed) no longer is. And no matter what her short comings were, she was in a sense a pillar. I think I will miss that strength for a long time.

Sandie told me yesterday that our Mom's been playing with dolls. You can't imagine how out of character that is for her but it's how I want to remember her always. Maybe Alzheimer's has blessedly robbed her of all the ugly and hateful torment which had so often consumed her and has instead left her with a heart of innocence and play. Maybe these last years will be truly happy ones for her. I hope so. She deserves a little carefree joy before she goes.