Sunday, October 9, 2011

talking to myself

As you know, I rarely comment on other people's blogs and there aren't any comments on my blog. It isn't that I don't have anything to say or that I don't care what you have to say, it's just that I don't like feeling obligated to remark all of the time. Maybe it's just me but once you're engaged in relationship it's like you've made an unwritten commitment to exchange at all times which can lead to seemingly rote, superficial, and insincere comments. I think that my intentions are well and good but after a while I find myself sitting back and wondering what perky and enthusiastic talker has snatched my online persona. In reality I can be quite withdrawn and ping ponging back and forth between friendliness and invisibility just sends mixed messages.
Anyways, that's not really the point of this post. I was just listening to music and washing the dishes when Leonard Cohen summed up what my response to myself (on yesterday's post Brilliant!) would have been if I had read it elsewhere. Whether in marriage or not:

Love is not a victory march
It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah

-from Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen