Sunday, October 30, 2011

message in a bottle



Okay, I know very few people read this blog anymore since I've converted it to a personal journal and removed comments. I also realize that it's egocentric to re-open them for this post just because I'm interested in discussing a particular subject. I get that, can live with it, and plead guilty as charged. That being said, if there is anyone still out there I'd love to hear your thoughts about hedonism. It's something I've been thinking a lot about lately so if you have an opinion, passing thought, or consider it completely irrelevant, I'd love to hear what you think. Anon comments welcome, all input appreciated. :)
Thanks!-Sharon




2 comments:

Anet said...

I'm still reading!
But sorry, I had to google hedonism. Sounds good to me!
I mean really, shouldn't this be what life is all about, pleasure? Why not? why not let go and just enjoy what gives us pleasure... Well as long as it's safe, doesn't harm anyone and it's legal then I say go for it!

By the way Zoe's mask is amazingly creepy:)

Sharon said...

Hi Anet!
Yeah, I'm not sure what I think. That's why I wanted to hear what others think.
I've come to realize that if I'm painfully honest with myself that in addition to escapism, hedonism drives me more than I realized. I do think it is part of human/animal nature to some degree, and is the primary motivation that our consumer culture depends upon in order to thrive. At this point I'm an open book on the subject. The only thing I will say for sure that like anything it can't be an absolute as extremes are never healthy; even altruism practiced unconditionally is twisted.
Anyways, I'm so glad you commented and will think some more about what you've said and let the whole topic mull a bit. Zoe will be thrilled to hear that you think her mask is creepy. Thanks! :)