Saturday, July 16, 2011

alzheimer's, or a rift in the space-time continuum?


We watched a movie last night called Never Let Me Go. Every once in a while I accidentally add something to our Netflix queue that we've already seen so seconds after the movie started I told Larry that we'd already seen it. He didn't agree so I jumped up and grabbed the dvd sleeve and sure enough it was newly released. There was no way we could have watched it before. I knew the whole plot and every character so if I hadn't seen the movie I must have read the book. Unable to let it go, I paused the dvd and went to my computer to find out if it was in fact a book, and what the title was. The infuriating thing was that it is a book but the title is the same as the movie, a title I have no recollection of. Worse still, the book was first published in 2005 so if I had read it it would have been fairly recently. I even went to Amazon.com hoping that the book's cover would jog my memory but no luck. Complete amnesia. I have absolutely no memory of reading Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Yet the whole thing was so real and fresh in my mind that I know I have experienced it before. I am definitely losing it!

Sandie, have you read it? Did you recommend it to me and I just don't remember??? I know it's stupid but it's so weird to have such complete and accurate, detailed, recall of something, yet not being able to put it into conscious context.