Saturday, February 12, 2011

the house that Dave built...



Dave stopped by today to show us his photos and journals recorded while he built our(now)/his(then) cabin. He didn't use a kit; it is a completely one of a kind home. He harvested the logs himself from trees killed by forest fire or beetles. He transported them and stripped each log by hand; including all of the rough cut lumber. I can't even imagine the amount of physical and emotional labor that such a project would entail. The doors and cabinets are all hand made, and even much of the hardware was forged by hand. The double pane windows were seconds, the maple floor in the living room was recycled from an old gym floor after a local school was demolished. The claw foot tub was rescued from a ranch were it was being used as a feed trough. And even the floor to ceiling wood shelving in Zoe's room were from an old schoolhouse. We are very lucky to be able to live here.

























8 comments:

tiff said...

how awesome to connect with the visionary that created your "NOW" home. i wish we could do the same with the guy that designed and built our strawbale home.

what a great journey to see the house that Dave built!

denise said...

wow - what amazing photos, and how cool to be able to know who built it and see how it came to be. love that.

denise said...

Oh, I hear you about home life. I can't even have a phone on with a ringer. I wish I could live farther out where I wouldn't have to SEE people so much, but we still are home and go for long periods without talking to or seeing anyone. I like it and need to live that way, but then sometimes (usually in the middle of winter) I get some anxiety that I should have friends, or be out of my house or that my kids need to leave more and regret doubting or questioning my instincts! ;)

sandy said...

Wow, that was cool to see Sharon. What a beautifully crafted cabin.

Anet said...

Amazing!
Your house was built with love and not just for profit. You are so blessed to live there. Nature in and outside, what could be better?
I don't why but a living room floor made from an old gym floor sounds beautiful to me:)

Sharon said...

Hey Tiff! Your house is so very cool. It really would be great to be able to hear all of the stories about it being built.

Hi Denise!
I know what you mean about the anxiety of wanting to reach out into the world for your kid's sake. I think Zoe being born is really what opened my eyes to what a hermit I am. I found myself doing play groups and parent toddler classes, arranging play dates, taking her to the local school at lunch time to play with the other kids, and later even going as far as to lead her Girl Scout troop. All sorts of things in an effort to shield her from my reclusiveness. It is nice now that she is older to let her own and arrange for her own social needs although she does pay a price because of where we choose to live.
Your boys look so happy. I don't think you need worry at all. :)

Sharon said...

Hey Sandy! I share your love of houses and really enjoy seeing all of the ones you find on your walks.

Anet, I can't believe you have the energy to keyboard after the last week! The wedding looked so beautiful and fun and the photos are just gorgeous.

Tara said...

I'm late commenting, but that does not dampen my enthusiasm about your home. It's truly a handcrafted beauty. I love that you know it's history in such an intimate way. I often wonder about my own house and the stories it holds.