Tuesday, October 5, 2010

pictures of strangers



Larry's brother likes to deal in antiques. Unfortunately he doesn't really get into the whole computer/ebay thing. For his birthday this year I told him I would list a few things for him and one of the items he gave me was a *lot* of WWII memorabilia which included a sailor's scrapbook of snapshots. For some reason I really enjoy looking through other people's pictures so I thought I would post a few of them here.


I like seeing moments captured by someone I don't know; especially generational ones. It's kind of like peeking into another world.


Whoever they are, I imagine most of them are gone, or at the very least different people now than they were then.

I think this picture is of the man who actively kept the scrapbook well into the '90's. He has a really kind face in all of his pictures. I don't know anything about him but I imagine he is dead now; if he wasn't Wayne wouldn't have his scrapbook. He must not have had any family who cared enough to keep his memories for him so soon they will be in the possession of someone else with an interest in that moment of human history he took a part in.

R.I.P. whoever you are.



6 comments:

Amy Maureen Murphy said...

Cool and very interesting!!!!!

Anet said...

Autumn would be over-the-moon for these!!!
She collects sailor photos
Are they still on e-bay for sale?

It's sad to think we'll run out of people who gives two hoots about us someday?
I feel really sad when Autumn drags me to those estate sales.

Sharon said...

Anet,
They aren't up on ebay yet but their going to go for a ridiculous amount because of the other things he has them paired with. His stuff always does. (he's got the bidding starting at $125.00!!)

I'd be happy to scan them and burn them to a disk for her if you think she'd like them??? Let me know and I'll do it before I box them up for ebay. :)

Anet said...

Sharon,
Whoa... that's some good money, I bet he'll have no problem getting that much though.

That would be awesome if you could get us a disk of them!
I just know she'd love these... Maybe I'll have some printed and framed for her for Christmas.
(Before I give her the disk.)

The hula dancers hanging on Autumn's walls in her pink pin-up dressing room that she's setting up for her pin-up customers would be adorable!

Autumn Luciano said...

Thanks for sending a CD of these! They're all pretty amazing, I wouldn't be surprised if you guys got $400 for these, especially with the photos of the blown up stuff in pearl harbor.

Sharon said...

Hey Autumn,
I'm glad you liked them! They ended up selling to a man in the Czech Republic.