Monday, November 17, 2008

Ground Control To Major Tom (revised)




Loring sent out a link today to the You Tube video I Must Not Think Bad Thoughts. I just love that title. It should be my personal mantra. Although I’m not a big fan of organized religion, I do connect (in my seriously limited understanding of it) with Zen Buddhism and Taoism; both being more philosophies than religions. Part of Zen’s Eight Fold Path is often communicated as not thinking bad thoughts, or as pursuing “right thought”. I wish I could proclaim to the world that I embody such mastery over my brain’s incessant chatter but I’ve gotta say that I’m probably as far from being able to own that skill as anyone can be. My mind spends more time spiraling in negativity and self flagellation than anything else so I can definitely see how some measure of control would be a relief, at least on a personal level. Unfortunately, I also recognize that there are times when those annoying little voices have something to say, when immersion rather than repression can result in growth, insight, and understanding. Plus I’m not entirely sure that the world needs more collective passivity or that it would really benefit society if we all forfeited judgment, and ceased concern. So, what is it I’m rambling on about? I don’t know. I guess what I’m saying is that there’s a part of me that finds the idea of never thinking another negative thought very tempting...........if only I could.

No comments: