Thursday, July 31, 2008

What is the Point, Really???





Do you ever ask yourself what the point of this whole blogging things is? I mean, there are probably as many motivating factors for blogging as there are bloggers, but every once in a while I ask myself why am I doing this? What exactly is it that I get out of blogging that keeps me coming back for more?

When I started last January (a different blog that’s gone now) I don’t think I ever envisioned it as a social thing. I know that blogging is in essence a social activity but I’m a little dense sometimes and that really wasn’t even on my radar at the time. I think it started more as a challenge to myself........an exercise to commit to words at least one short paragraph a day focusing on the view from here, nothing significant, nothing out of the ordinary, just life.....an experiment to pass some time during a particularly hard winter. But when I ask myself why I continue, the answers become more complicated.

In reality I’m not a very social person. That being said, I’ve really come to enjoy peeking in on each of you and seeing what you’re doing and what you have to say. And, after 20 years of marriage, and 12 years of parenting, it becomes very easy to define yourself solely within the confines of the roles of spouse and mother. So in a sense it’s an exercise in reclaiming (in some minor way) autonomy, a sense of self. Beyond that it’s about writing. I’m not a very articulate person, not for a lack of intellect (I don’t think) it’s more a disconnect I have of turning thought into speech. I like to blame that on my Dad as he too is a person of few words. (Maybe we’ve got some weird idiot gene that kicks in the minute our brains say “speak”). Finally, it gives me an excuse to play with our camera which is nothing more than a lot of fun.

That’s about as honest as I can be. I blog for connection, self affirmation, and entertainment. What about you, why do you do it?

No comments: