Sunday, May 11, 2008

Motherhood is Making Me an Idiot




The other day Goth came to me with the perpetual problem of being unable to find her remote. Because the cable in her room is routed through her playstation and the vcr before it actually gets to the television it requires the clicker to change channels. So, after assuring me that she’d done everything humanly possible to find it herself I went to help her look. You’d have to see her room to understand, but trying to find anything in it at all requires a preliminary cleaning. So while she was searching and I was sorting things into piles of wash, discard, and put away, I inevitably became distracted by my own lecture about the many benefits of trying... just trying mind you....to be a little tidier. And as I drifted off into some motherly cliché the background noise of the television (tuned to the world’s most inane programming) heightened my annoyance to such a degree that I lost all sense of reality.

Me: “Why in the world don’t you change the channel?”

Goth: “Because I can’t find the remote, remember?”

Me: “Oh, right.....................”

Happy Mother’s Day Everyone!

No comments: