Wednesday, April 9, 2008

What Do You Like?




My first introduction to blogging came from searching for secular home schooling resources. I found a great site with lots of links and lesson plans written by a woman in Oregon. Ultimately what kept me coming back was her dry, smart, wit and candor. I don’t know exactly how long I’ve been reading her posts but it’s been off and on for a couple of years. During this time I’ve formed some idea of who she is, how her politics lean, and what irks her; but that doesn’t make for a very complete picture of a person. So a couple of days ago, after reading one of her posts (and totally ignoring it’s topic), I asked her to list a couple of things that she actually “likes” and she did. I wasn’t really that surprised by her answers (except maybe the sushi...YUCK!) My point here is that it’s much easier to define ourselves by what we don’t like (in other people, and in life in general) than to define what we actually do like; not just what we’re supposed to like (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com ~a riotously funny site) , or what we want others to think we like. But what, deep within ourselves, give us pleasure (even if we hate to admit it). I mean, if you asked me to come up with a list of things I hate I could start rattling them off with no problem (shopping, George Bush, crowds, the telephone.........) but ask me what I like, and it’s much more difficult. Any ways, since I had the audacity to ask a complete stranger to cough up some honesty I thought I’d better give it a go myself. So here goes.........
Goth & the Muse (of course), animals, chocolate, the woods, wilderness, my mac, snuggling, pizza, solitude, a good book, watching t.v. in bed, kindness, nature, silence, Survivor, naps, freedom, baking, psychology, blogging, gardening, walks/hikes, peace, being lazy, physics, houses, Pandora.com, some art, our cabin, some music, NPR, Photoshop, (a handful of people who I won’t name), unschooling, & tolerance. It’s hard to present yourself so simplistically but there it is; a list of some of the things that I like. So what about you? What do you like???????

No comments: