Friday, April 11, 2008

Nothing is Ever Simple.......

Goth: John McCain’s on T.V.

Me: Yeah? How’s he doing?

Goth: Okay, I guess. Don’t you hate him?

Me: No?! I hate George Bush........ not all republicans.

Sometimes I forget what an all encompassing black hole hate can become in the mind of a 12 year old. In fairness to Goth most of her life has been spent listening to daily Bush bashing and disdain filled declarations of contempt for the political and foreign policy state of our country. So this post is for Goth. I’d like to clarify a few things: I do dislike President Bush for the many many reasons which you’ve heard a million times. I don’t dislike a person solely because he or she is a republican. There are “republican positions” which I dislike and they are: opposition to gun control, promoting a dog eat dog economy without safety nets for society’s vulnerable populations (extending to basic needs like health care), legislating abortion issues, approaching immigration issues simplistically, sacrificing the environment and worker safety to corporate profit without accountability, and forgetting about the separation of church and state; thus radicalizing our country and their party. So, no, I don’t hate John McCain. I may respectfully disagree with many of his positions but I defend his right to hold them and work toward them. He has shown himself to be a person of character and until he thoughtlessly leads this country toward a path of violence, isolationism, and intolerance I will not hate him. Republicans and Democrats are intrinsically flawed categorizations which encourage simplistic thinking and without campaign finance reform it is unlikely that the electoral process in our country will make substantial changes. So Goth, don’t fall for the hate game. It’s too easy. Hold it back if you can, but when a person aspires to lead an important and powerful nation without the character, intellectual capacity, or psychological health to execute his duties lawfully and in good faith, than go to it. And never forfeit your right to freedom of speech in the face of such shamelessness or in the name of empty patriotism. Remember, nothing is ever simple.

Me: I want you to read this.

Goth (after reading it): I really don’t care.

She’s so funny...............

No comments: